28 July 2016
175 glorious years of Wilson College 11.12.2007
Wilson College has a continuous history as an educational institution going back to 1832. It began as Ambrolie School in Girgaum, later seeing several changes of sites and names, eventually being called Wilson School. A collegiate section from which Wilson College developed was added in 1836.
The founder of these institutions was the Rev. John Wilson D.O., F.R.S. of the Scottish Missionary Society. John and his wife Margaret arrived in Bombay on February 14, 1829, learnt the local language and with great zeal set up schools for boys and girls of all castes and classes.
John Wilson was a linguist, an orientalist, an author. In recognition of his service to the cause of education, social awakening and scholarship, the Department of Archives, Government of Maharashtra, in 2000, honoured Dr. John Wilson as one of the Seven founders of Modern Bombay.
Fostering a tradition of liberalism and freedom, the Scottish Principals inspired many students to be at the centre stage of the freedom struggle, Usha Mehta, Acharya Kriplani, S.A. Dange, Aloo Dastoor, B.G. Kher to mention a few.
Wilson College gave India its only Prime Minister from Bombay-Morarji Desai, and the Bharat Ratna recipients P.V. Kane and O.K. Karve are also proud alumni of the institution. In 1952, the Management of college came under and autonomous Board of Governors in India. Since 1963, the college is under the John Wilson Education Society.