03 August 2015

The Naval Dockyard Bombay celebrated its 250th Anniversary on 11 January 1986

The stamp depicts a bird's eye view of the Bombay Dock at the front and the Duncan Dock behind it nearer to the administrative building. These monumental docks, though over 150 years old still serve the needs of Indian Naval Ships and Submarines alike. The first Day Cover depicts the crest of the Naval Dockyard, Bombay. The cancellation is the adaptation of th Logo of its 250th Anniversary Celebration. The stamp, the first day cover and the cancellation have been designed by Capt. Anil Dhir, Indian Navy.

The Naval Dockyard Bombay celebrated its 250th Anniversary on 11 January 1986. From its humble beginning in 1736 from designing and building small crafts, it has developed into a mammoth organisation for repair of the most sophisticated Indian Naval Warships. The Dockyard has become a symbol of rapid progress and technological advancement from repair and building of wooden hulls in 1736 to the repair and servicing of the most sophisticated and advanced electronic gadgets of today. It is the most modern of the Naval Dockyards in South Asia today. The Dockyard commenced functioning on 11 January, 1736, on 120 acres of land sandwiched between the Gateway of India and the Ballard Pier at the entrance of the channel, a purely indigenous enterprise of the Wadia Brothers as a composite unit for designing and building of ships. However the Bombay and Duncan Docks were commissioned in 1758 and 1857, respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment