13 June 2016
50Years with 16 Squadron of the Indian Air Force 27.12.2005
16 Squadron of the Indian Air Force was formed at Pune in 1950, with sixSupermarine Spitfires, and one Hawker Tempest, as an bomber squadron of the Western Air Command.
It was re-equipped in 1954, with B-24 Liberators, and its role was changed to heavy bombing. It was re-equipped again in 1957 with Canberras, and moved to Kalaikunda, under the Central Air Command. It saw action for the first time during the annexation of Goa, where it flew bombing raids against Dabolim Airfield, and a few raids in Diu. It also saw action during the Sino-Indian War.
During the War of 1965, the squadron flew several sorties and strike missions over vital targets. Several targets including the Sargodha airfield, Chakjkhumra, and Badin SU were attacked. The most significant of these was a successful daylight raid against a highly defended Radar at Badin.
During the War of 1971, the squadron was involved in full scale operations again under the command of late Wing Commander P. Gautam (MVC, bar VM). It carried out successful bombing raids on heavily defended targets both in East Pakistan, and West Pakistan. During these operations, the squadron earned a bar Maha Vir Chakra, 3 Vir Chakras, and 2 Vayusena Medals.
In October–December 1986, the squadron was re-equipped with SEPECAT Jaguar,deep penetration strike aircraft, and its current role is identified as Counter Air and Interdiction.