30 March 2016
BiCentenary of the 2nd Battalion The Rajput Regiment 30.11.1998
The 200 years of history of the battalion commences with its raising at Badgaon on 30 Nov. 1798 as 1/16 Bengal Native Infantry. In the course of the next 152 years, this designation was to be altered eight times - in 1824 as 33rd Bengal Native Infantry, in 1861 as the 4th Bengal Native Infantry, in 1885 as 4th Regiment of Bengal Infantry, in 1890 as 4th (Prince Albert Victor's) Bengal Infantry, in 1897 as 4th (PAV) Rajput Regiment of Bengal Infantry, in 1921 as 2/7th Rajputs, in 1945 as 2nd Battalion The Rajput Regiment (PAV) and finally as 2nd Battalion The Rajput Regiment in 1950.
In 1965, the battalion moved into J&K and captured Ziarat and Ring Contour in the Tithwal Sector.
In 1971, the battalion cleared the Belonia Bulge, captured Choudagram and advanced to Chandpur, thereby earning its ninth battle honour 'Belonia'. During the period 1972-1998, the unit was constantly deployed in combating militancy in the North East, Punjab and J&K.