15 August 2014

Gandhi Memorial Stamps - 15th August 1948

Today is 15th August and India's 67th Independence Anniversary. I remember that 1st Anniversary many many years ago when I came into possession of the now famous Gandhi Memorial Stamps.
There is very little that I can add to the vast knowledge people already have about this Great Man. So, I will only talk a little bit about the Gandhi Memorial stamps, which My Father bought for me. I remember (I was just a tad less than seven years old then) going with him to the Post Office that day, stand in line for what seemed hours to me and getting this wonderful folder and the four stamps mounted on them. And it is these stamps that marked the beginning of my stamp collecting career, and the start of the finest hobby anyone can indulge in.

15th August 1948, the 1st Anniversary of India's Independence was commemorated by issuing postage stamps on "Mahatma Gandhi" in 4 denominations viz., 1 1/2 as. 3 1/2as., 12as. and 10 Rupees. The first 3 lower values are in Sepia-brown (Brown), Purple- blue (Violet), Dark-green (Grey -green) respectively. The high value 10 Rupees stamp is in Grey with a Reddish-brown background (Purple-brown and lake).  incidentally these are the only set of stamps printed outside India after independence. “COURVOISER S.A.,LA CHAUX-DE-FONDS of Geneva printed the set.

The clothing of Gandhiji in stamps, in no way approximated to the Indian grab or the way Gandhiji used to wear clothes. Actually the original photographs showed the Mahatma unclothed above the waist. However, the anglicised bureaucrats thought that it would be derogatory to portray of the 'Father of the Nation' in such a manner. So they asked the Swiss Printers to adequately cover the naked portion of Gandhiji's body, but they couldn't reproduce it in the Indian Way.

Before concluding, I must admit that as Gandhiji used to glitter and eclipsed all other politicians during his lifetime and for all these decades even after his death, his 10 Rupee stamp is glittering in Indian stamps and have eclipsed all other Indian stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment